Today I’m going to share a call script for contacting a lead for the first time after they requested information from your business online.
Here’s why this is important:
When someone submits a form online, they’ve just made a tiny commitment to hear back from you, and give you a chance to solve their problem.
The operative word here is “tiny”.
There’s no relationship yet, and their interest and commitment to doing business with you at this stage is very limited.
Every detail is critical in the next steps toward determining if they will move forward with you or not.
In last week’s post, I wrote about lead response time and how even taking just more than 5 minutes can seriously diminish your chances to convert a lead into an application.
While lead response time is crucial, it’s equally important that you get things off on the right foot when you call a lead and get in touch with them for the first time.
There are 5 key steps to include in that initial interaction:
- Ensure you are speaking with the right person.
- Identify yourself and your business.
- Establish the reason you are calling: because they requested info.
- Engage them in your process by showing them the value they’ll receive.
- Lead them through each next step through a series of micro-commitments.
Here’s an example script for a broker responding to a refinancing inquiry…
- Hi! Is (lead) there?
- Hi (lead)! This is [broker’s name], calling from [company name].
- How’s-it-going? Great! I just received a request from you for some information about a mortgage (refinance/purchase) loan, does that ring-a-bell? Okay, great.
- Listen, the reason for-the call (lead’s first name) is interest rates are very volatile right now and I want to find out exactly what it is you’re looking to accomplish so I can lock in an interest rate for you and GUARANTEE the EXACT DEAL I quote to you today so you can decide if it’s something you want to move forward with and if so then we can fund it within the next two or three weeks and if you have a quick sixty seconds I’d like to see if I can help you out.
- Do you have a minute now? I just need to [collect / confirm required information]. *once information is collected set clear expectations for next step*: Thanks (lead!). So what happens next is I’m going to take this information and put together a few options for you. Do you have time next [day/time] to reconnect and review?
Notice that I numbered the script based on the 5 key steps to show you exactly how this works.
Points 1 -3 are important for getting their attention.
Point 4 is important for getting them to buy into your process.
And point 5 is important for maintaining their engagement in your process.
If you use these 5 steps as your new first-call script for new leads, I guarantee you’re going to start seeing much more success in getting leads to engage with you, commit to your process, and ultimately convert into an application.